The Life of a
Civil War Soldier –
Post-site Activity 1/
Educator and Interpreter Led
Level: Fourth Grade
Time to Complete: 45 mins.
Title of Lesson: Writing a Soldier’s
Carolina Curriculum Standards Addressed:
4.1.15 – Compare and contrast the ways of life in the
North and South.
• 4.1.18 – Describe the Civil War and its effects
on the nation.
• 4.5.5 – Describe how American citizens can participate
in their government to influence the decisions and actions
of that government.
This lesson is designed to follow up on the previous letter
written by the student as they prepared to join the army.
This letter will be written to the student’s family
describing their experiences in the war, and to include three
things they learned there.
/ Resources Provided:
• Sample letters
will be provided
1. What could a soldier from the South expect to find when
he returned home at the war’s end, and how did it differ
from the experience of that of a Northern soldier?
2. How did citizen influence effect the governmental policies
of post war America?
3. What was a common effect of the war on soldiers from both
the North and the South in regards to infrastructure and economy?